Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Feel that breeze? Its the wind of change

I spent yesterday morning watching the inauguration with my mom. It is kind of interesting because we have watched a number of important events together. 9-11. We got up at 2 a.m. to watch Princess Diana's funeral and drink tea. So yesterday, we drank a glass of champagne while watching the inauguration of Barack Hussein Obama, the first African-American president of the United States.

But I found yesterday moving for reasons beyond the incredible historical nature of the moment. I was moved because I truly believe that this is a turning point in the direction of our country. I believe that it is crucial for the leader of our country to put the needs of America first, but to have a global perspective as well. Our world is becoming increasingly smaller. Our economies depend upon each other. Instability in one region creates instability worldwide. (Check out The World is Flat by Thomas L. Friedman.) It is essential that our leaders know, understand and respect other cultures, countries and leaders in order to create a successful foreign policy.

In short, I thought that Obama's speech was great (didn't expect less). I look forward to the good he will do; I recognize that, as with any administration, there will be mistakes, and there will be decisions made that I don't agree with. But I am proud of our choice and am excited about the next four years.

I also think that we need to recognize George W. Bush for his service. While many take issue with the actions of his administration, you cannot deny that he faced many situations that other presidents have not, including 9-11. Whether or not I agree with all of the decisions made during his presidency, I know that he made tough choices and that he truly felt like he was making the right decisions with the information he had.

Here's to hope.

No comments: