Monday, July 21, 2008

What a way to start the week

So on my way to drop off Corbin today, I heard a news update about a stand off going on in Maplewood, just a couple of blocks from the school where he has camp. I called my mom to get more details. Apparently, early this morning, fire fighters were called to the scene of a vehicle fire. When they arrived, shots were fired from the suspect (not yet identified), killing one rookie firefighter and injuring two police officers. Because of the stand off, several roads near the school where camp is were closed. As I was walking him into the school and helicopters were flying overhead, I had already decided that I would probably take him to work today rather than leave him in the middle of all of this. Well, I guess the camp was told by the police that they could not have camp at that location, so it is being held at the recreational center, which is farther away from the scene. It is so crazy when things like this hit so close to home. Just a few months back, there was a major shooting rampage at the city hall in Kirkwood, Mo (just a few short minutes from where I grew up).

My heart goes out to the families of the victim of today's tragedy. According to Stltoday.com, he was just 22 years old, and had been with the fire department since August.

I often wonder why people feel entitled to take the life of another when they are troubled. Does it make you feel powerful to victimize someone who never saw it coming?

No comments: